Besan Kadhi is a popular north Indian dish and a good vegan option is to make it without yogurt. This dish of kadhi with fried Besan flour pakoras in a beautiful seasoned pool of gravy with various spices, when served along with steamed rice, makes for a perfect summer meal.
- Besan- 250g
- Tamarind- 50g (boiled and pulp separated)
- Onion- 3 (1 cut long and 2 cut finely)
- Tomatoes- 2
- Ginger- 1 small
- Garlic-5-6 cloves
- Clove- 2-3
- Bay Leaves- 1
- Whole red chillies- 1
- Black pepper (whole)- 8-10
- Cinnamon- ½ inch
- Cumin- ½ tsp
- Turmeric- 1/4th spoon
- Coriander seeds OR mustard seeds-
- Oil- 8 tbs (for temper)
- And to fry
- Boil the tamarind and separate its pulp. Mash and mix the pulp in 1kg water.
- Put 3 tbs besan in the tamarind mix.
- Grind ginger and garlic into a paste and add it to the mix. Also add turmeric, red chilly powder and salt.
For the temper/ Tadka
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add to it cumin, coriander seeds, clove, bay leaves, whole red chilly, black pepper and cinnamon.
- Add one long cut onion, to the oil and allow it to roast.
- Once the onion browns, add chopped tomatoes. Let the tomatoes putrefy.
- Pour the tamarind-besan mix into the temper and heat.
- Give it one boil and lower he flame till required consistency is attained
Procedure to Make Pakoras
- Mix besan and water for watery consistency (not too thin, enough for a stream of liquid besan to pour off a spoon).
- Add to the mix salt, red chilli and cumin.
- Add to it thinly chopped onions.
- Prepare pakora balls from the batter by puttig them into oil and fry them in heated oil.
- Mix the pakora in the besan curry prepared above, and the kadi is prepared!