Delicious dal cooked in spices and generous amounts of ghee, butter, cream and curd. Direct from Punjab, this maa ki dal recipe doesn’t disappoint !
- Dal- 250g
- Garlic- 6-7 cloves
- Onion- 1 big (finely chopped)
- Hing- a pinch
- Oil- 4-5 tbsp
- Onion- 1 medium
- Ginger- 1 small piece
- Green Chillies- 2
- Tomato- 2 medium
- Whole cumin- 1/4th spoon
- Whole red chillies- 1
- Dry green cardamom- 1
- Bay leaves- 1
- Red chilli powder- 1/4th spoon
- Garam masala- 1/4th spoon
- Mustard oil- 4-5 tbs
- Soak dal overnight 1 kg water
- Add onion, garlic, salt and hing in the dal and boil.
- Once the dal bursts, reduce the flame and wait till a brownish colour indicates a thick consistency of the mix.
- Heat oil in a big pan.
- Once hot, add whole cumin, clove, whole red chillies, cardamom and bay leaves to the oil.
- Add finely chopped onions into the hot oil.
- Once the onion browns add tomato, green chillies and ginger.
- Wait till the tomato putrefies and add to it garam masala and red chilli powder.
- Add the prepared temper to the dal, and give it one boil, till it's prepared to be eaten! The Dal is ready to be served now.